Every week or two, we post a note to share information on home decorating, blankets, bedding, specials, new products, sales and more. We hope you will find our blog interesting and informative and that you will stop by often to see what's new!
We've all walked in to a department store bedding section, seen the gorgeous beds with their many layers of comforters, duvets, shams, pillows, throws and thought, "Why can't my bed look like that?"
Well, actually your bed can look like that! A luxurious and sumptuous bed can create a warm and inviting look in your bedroom, and the steps below will help you in creating the bed of your dreams!
1. The Foundation. The foundation of a beautiful bed is a good mattress. A big, fluffy pillow top mattress gives the bed a plush look. Add to this look with featherbeds, foam eggcrates, or wool mattress covers over the mattress.
2. Fabrics. If the mattress is the foundation, then fabrics are the dressing. Choose beautiful coordinating fabrics for all your component items - sheets, duvet, comforter, or quilt, bedskirt, pillow cases, shams, pillows, and throws. Don't be afraid to choose fabrics that add sparks of color and pop as accent pieces. Also choose fabrics in a variety of textures and mix them up. Crocheted lace over satin, or velvet mixed with crisp cotton. Use the fabrics to express your personality.
3. The Bedskirt. Choose from ruffled or tailored depending on the style you want. If you are going for the ruffled look, try layering two bedskirts for a more extravagant look. You could try layering two similar dust ruffles in the same fabrics but different colors, or layer a sheer bedskirt over a solid or patterned dust ruffle.
4. Sheets. Choose high quality sheets for your beautiful bed. Not only do they feel wonderful, but the look is gorgeous. A soft sateen or high thread count Egyptian cotton set or a Bamboo sheet set will give you a soft feel while maintaining a crisp look. Be sure to make your bed with hospital corners for a more tailored look, or leave the sheets pulled back a few inches for a more casual look.
5. Duvet, Comforter or Quilt? A duvet cover over a down comforter creates a stylish look that is easily changeable depending on the season, and it is easy to remove the duvet cover for cleaning. Putting a larger duvet into a smaller cover creates a lofty, plush look. Quilts come in hundreds of styles and designs and they have evolved from your grandmother's quilts. Now they come in contemporary colorways with many styles, designs, and textures. Try a rag quilt for beautiful styling. Or try layering matelasse quilts in different colors. The more layers you place on your bed, the more sumptuous it will look. With comforters, the sky is the limit! Choose a comforter that is extra sized and with extra fill for lavish fluffiness.
When you make your bed, fold down the quilt about 12 inches and then fold down about 3-4 inches of the top sheet over the quilt to make your bed look more inviting and casual.
6. Shams. Make sure your pillow corners fill the entire sham. To keep your shams from looking droopy, a little packing tape behind the corners will help them to stand up.
7. Pillows. Can you have too many? Really?? Pillows top off the bed like whipped cream and cherry on a sundae. Choose complimentary pillows in a variety of textures, shapes, colors, and sizes, and include at least some pillows with accents such as buttons, fringe, conchos or lace to create interest. They should cover at least the top third of the bed for a sumptuous, elegant look. Plump the pillows up occasionally if they get mashed down.
8. Throws. Dress up the foot of a bed with a casually laid throw blanket. Tapestry throws, faux suede blankets, or soft chenille decorator throws are perfect bed accessories.
Yes, you can use your throw blankets for more than just covering up - although they are WONDERFUL for that! Here's 8 more ways to use them.
1. Take them out to the ball game. Blankets are perfect for covering up those hard stadium benches. Spread it out, or fold it up for a soft seat. Take an extra one for when it gets cold.
2. Take them to a picnic. Spread your blankets or quilts out over the grass for instant comfort. Most blankets are easily washable afterwards.
3. Use as a table cloth. Tapestry throws and small lap quilts are super for this purpose.
4. Cover a sofa or chair. Got a drab sofa or chair in the living room or need to cover a bare spot? Drape a pretty throw over it for an instant pick up.
5. Use a throw blanket as a wall hanging.
6. Dress up your bed. Lay a throw blanket over the foot of your bed to make it look extra plush and give it an extra little touch.
7. Cut up throw blankets to make shams and pillows. Want a custom-made sham or pillow without having to pay custom prices? Find a design you like in a tapestry throw, cut to size, serge the edges, and sew on a ruffle or flange. Then insert your pillow. Voila!
8. Use for pet blankets. When they get old, donate your blankets to your pets. Our pets love warm, soft, cozy blankets, too!